Asthma is a condition in which your airways narrow, swell and produce extra mucus leading to a difficulty in breathing. It can trigger cough, wheezing and shortness of breath.
Asthma can be a major setback for many people as it interferes with daily activities and can also lead to a life-threatening asthma attack. In children, it is one of the main reasons to miss school. It is a psychosomatic disorder - triggered as much by allergens as by dysfunctional relationships and stress. To treat asthma effectively, you need to treat its root cause.
Symptoms of asthma vary from person to person. Some of the common signs and symptoms of asthma are:
- Coughing, especially at night
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness, pain or pressure
It is a well-known fact that certain environmental factors and a strong family history may cause asthma. The following triggers may put you at risk:
- Respiratory infections such as common cold
- Physical activity (asthma triggered by it is known as exercise-induced asthma)
- Airborne substances such as pollen, dust mites, pet dander or particles of cockroach waste
- Air pollutants and irritants such as smoke
- Certain medications
Following are some conditions that affect the risk of asthma:
- Family history of asthma
- Having another allergic condition such as allergic rhinitis or atopic dermatitis
- Occupational exposures (industrial or wood dusts, chemical fumes and vapors)
- Indoor and outdoor air pollution
The diagnosis for asthma is done through a Pulmonary Function Test. Here the breathing capacity of a patient is measured to know if it is reduced. This is also used to monitor the progress of the homeopathic treatment.
Can Asthma be prevented?
If asthma runs in your family, all close family members are recommended to get a genetic test done. At our clinics, we have developed the world’s first gene-targeted homeopathic therapy called Geno Unani. With this, we can predict asthma years before they actually occur. This is carried out through a simple saliva test that not only helps us to predict the probability of getting asthma but also helps in treating the root cause. It reduces your chances of getting asthma through preventive medicine, appropriate diet and lifestyle changes. Since Geno Unani is based on your individualized genetic predisposition, it is, therefore, the most individualized and customized treatment for your health problems.
Self-care and taking sensible preventative measures can reduce the risk of asthma symptoms and the asthma getting worse. Some of the things you can do to help keep your asthma under control are described below:
- Minimise the use of carpets and wash linen regularly in hot water to get rid of dust mites.
- Pets, if any, should be bathed regularly and kept out of beds as their falling hair may aggravate your asthma symptoms.
- Blowing balloon increases your lung expansion capacity. Start with blowing 1-2 balloons a day and increase it gradually. This should be done only when you are symptom-free.
- If you are a smoker and have been diagnosed with asthma, you simply have to stop smoking. Smoke acts as an irritant and also decreases the efficacy of the medication you take. It may also put you at risk of COPD and other bronchial diseases.
- Even second-hand smoke has the same effect and so it is necessary for you to ensure that smokers in your friend and family circles do not light up in your presence.
- Stress, anxiety or any strong emotion - they are popularly known to trigger the symptoms of asthma in adults, children, and women. Therefore, just remember this quote – ‘worry less, smile more’ and live healthier, happier, and asthma symptoms free life.
Homeopathic treatment for asthma
There are 5 advantages of homeopathic treatment for asthma :
- Unani treats the psychosomatic problems associated with asthma. It is know that anxiety can trigger an asthmatic attack. It is also certain that patients suffering from long-term asthma suffer from anxiety.
- Common treatments for asthma in conventional medicine include bronchodilators that may trigger trembling and steroids that may cause brittleness of bones and obesity. Unani on the other hand is safe and free from side effects.
- Unani is a holistic form of treatment. You do not need different medicines to treat various manifestations of asthma such as breathlessness and anxiety unlike conventional medicine which prescribes different medicines for each complaint.
- No two asthmatic individuals have the same symptoms, and hence, no two individuals get the same medicine. Every patient is treated according to the specifics of his/her condition.
- Homeopathic treatment builds specific immunity against known allergens and general immunity against unknown allergens.
Geeta, a 13-year-old girl, had learnt to live with breathlessness and skin rashes – these had become a part of her life. She was brought to Dr Hashmi clinic for Unani treatment after her parents realized that she was not improving in any of her complaints with all other medications. To know more about how Geeta regained proper breathing, read her complete story.